Non-NHS Services




Some services provided are not covered under our contract with the NHS and therefore attract charges. Examples include the following;

  • Medicals for pre-employment, sports and driving requirements (HGV, PSV etc.)
  • Insurance claim forms
  • Passport signing
  • Prescriptions for taking medication abroad
  • Private sick notes
  • Vaccination certificates

If you require a copy of our private price list please contact us

If you are unsure if the service you require or for Full listings on non NHS services, services we don't provide and services we provide at a charge please read the information below:



St Bartholomew & Hollow Way Medical Practice is proud to offer quality General Practice care to our patients under the terms of our NHS contract. Unfortunately, General Practice across the UK is currently under severe pressure. Some types of work which have been traditionally done by GPs are not actually NHS work and do not form part of our NHS contract.

In order to provide good NHS care, the doctors at St Bartholomew & Hollow Way Medical Practice limit the amount of private (non-NHS) work they do. If you request non-NHS work from us, the request may be declined and you may need to consult a private doctor instead. This leaflet explains what we provide and do not provide. If you have queries about this policy, please speak to the Practice Manager.


An important note about Medical Records

You have the right to view your medical records. Please make your application in writing to the Practice Manager. You may have copies of your records, which is set in law by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Before giving you access to your records, we are obliged by law to check the records for any confidential or third-party information. All requests made will be responded to within 30 calender days.


Items We Can Provide Free Of Charge


  • Fit for work certificates: (Commonly known as sick notes, officially called Med3 certificates). These are ONLY issued for 7 days or more and ONLY for the purposes of sick pay or benefits.
  • MatB1 forms, Maternity Exemption certificates & Healthy Start forms: These can usually be issued by your midwife.
  • Prescription Charge Exemption certificates:  Only if you fulfil the strict criteria set out on the forms.
  • Referral letters: Referral letters to hospitals, secondary care and other healthcare providers, whether NHS or private. These are arranged by our secretaries. Please let them know of any particular requirements.

Items We Can Provide For A Fee


These items are overseen by our Administrator, Clare. She can advise you on fees for specific items and she can liaise with solicitors and insurance companies if required.

  • Adoption/ Fostering Medicals: Please book a long appointment for these. Fee is payable in advance.
  • Flying/Travelling with Insulin or other medications: All injectable medications in hand luggage will require a certificate. This also applies to carrying certain other drugs, even tablets, when entering certain countries. If in doubt, consult your airline, travel agent or the embassy of the country you intend to visit.
  • HGV & Taxi driver medical examinations: These require a long appointment and there is a charge, please make sure you tell the receptionist which medical you need so that she can book the correct appointment for you. Please note, for these medicals you will need to attend an optician first, to have the eyesight section signed before seeing the doctor.
  • Medical examinations for leisure activities: We may be able to complete other medicals such as for flying/sailing, but NOT for diving or dangerous sports.
  • Private Sick Notes: If your employer requires a sick note for less than 7 days’ absence, we can supply one with your written permission. The employer is responsible for our fee.
  • Fitness to Fly during Pregnancy: Usually required by the airline if flying (or returning) after 28 weeks, and can be supplied if you have a healthy uncomplicated singleton pregnancy. The midwife can also sign these.
  • Statement of fact: Occasionally a patient is required to provide evidence of living in a certain place and being registered as a patient at the surgery. A fee is payable in advance.
  • Fitness for Exercise or Gym: We encourage all our patients to exercise as it is generally very good for you. The risk that harm would come to you by exercising is low; however we cannot guarantee that it is 100% safe for anyone to exercise. We can provide a summary of your medical problems but any risk is entirely between you and your gym instructor.
  • Medical Reports for Students staying/travelling abroad: Students may require an examination as part of the report and as such a fee is payable and this depends on the time taken to complete the report and/or examination.

Items We Do Not Provide

  • Applications for Passports, Visas, Character references: The organisations supplying these forms will be able to suggest alternative signatories.
  • Fitness for Parachute Jumps, Mountain Climbing, Diving, or any other high risk activity: We cannot advise on fitness to partake in dangerous activities such as parachute jumps, mountain climbing, diving as this is outside our field of expertise and not part of the NHS service. Please ask your instructor about any concerns you have regarding safety for these activities. We can supply a print-out of your medical records for their consideration. A fee is charged for this. Diving medicals are a highly specialised area of medicine, and your diving instructor can advise you how to find a suitably qualified doctor to assess your fitness to dive.
  • Letters about Housing: Oxford Council does not require GP letters when you seek housing or rehousing, even on medical grounds. You are entitled to a print-out of your medical record if you believe this will assist your application. This will incur a fee.
  • Letters about Missing a Court Appearance: Missing a court appearance is a very serious matter. We will only provide a letter to the court if we are requested or ordered to do so by the court. Your solicitor can advise you further.
  • Letters about Missed Exams or Problems with 11+: There is no obligation on GPs to provide sick notes for schools or for missed exams. Usually the school can request special consideration.
  • Recording Injuries for Insurance: Attending the surgery because your insurer asks you to record injuries from a car accident is not an NHS service, and is not appropriate. Your insurance company can arrange a private medical examination if necessary.
  • Recording Injuries for Police: In the case of an alleged assault, a police doctor must assess and document injuries. This is not an NHS service and we are not trained to do this work to the legal standard required.
  • Shotgun and Firearms Licence Applications: We do not support firearms licence applications. The decision about fitness to own, hold or renew a firearms or shotgun licence rests entirely with the Police force. A print out of your summary medical record can be issued to the Police at a charge to the patient.
  • Will-Writing Capacity (testamentary capacity) & Power of Attorney: Testamentary capacity is a highly specialised area of medico-legal practice with important implications for the patient and their family. Therefore we recommend that the solicitor seek an expert opinion, for example from a private consultant psycho-geriatrician. Power of Attorney does not usually require a doctor’s opinion or signature – if your lawyer feels that a doctor’s input is necessary, he or she should arrange for a private expert to provide this.

For any enquiries, please speak to the Practice Manager.


Charges for Non-NHS Work - July 2023

Payment must be made in advance by BACs or cash

Private Consultation

All patient under NHS for Primary Care


HGV, Taxi, Coach, Bus, Diving, Pre-Employment £145
Medical Report/Insurance certificate with examination £120 to £160
Dependant on length of report

Fitness to Attend - sports (excludes dangerous activities) school University etc.

Full Medical and Report £75/£135.00
(10% off for students)
Report only £45
Gym Fit to exercise £45

Forms & Certificates

Accident & Sickness Form £45
Private Medical Claim Form £45
Child Minder Ofsted £145
Court of Protection £145
Fitness to Travel Form £135
Holiday Cancellation Form £45
Income/Loan/life cover Report £75 to £135
Letter Request (Single, short) £40
Solicitor’s Letter (according to request) £100 to £150
Firearms licence –Report £145
All other Letters & Forms not listed above £40

Medical Records

Paper and Computer Records 1st copy free of charge (SARs)
Encourage electronic copy. 
Any further copies - dependant on size of records will be charged
  • We are unable to countersign passport forms
  • We are not a travel & yellow fever centre
  • We provide all nhs services free of charge